Who runs and owns the Heugh Battery Museum?
The site was relinquished by the Ministry of Defence in 1956, and ownership passed to Hartlepool Borough Council. The Heugh Gun Battery Trust was founded in 2000, with an overall aim to promote the history of the Heugh Battery Museum. The Heugh Gun Battery Trust was granted a 50 year lease for the Heugh Battery Museum site from Hartlepool Borough Council in 2003 which permits it to "reconstruct the Heugh Battery site and to develop the Demised Premises as a visitor centre, tourist attraction with such other uses as a ancillary thereto".
The lease requires the Trust to secure Scheduled Monument Consent pursuant to the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 and all relevant planning consents and licences necessary for the execution of any works requiring such permissions. In effect, this requires the Trust to liaise closely with English Heritage and with the Council Planning Department when planning any capital works at the site.
The Trust is a member of the North East Museums, Libraries and Archives Council (MLA).
Thus the principal interested parties are:
Hartlepool Borough Council
Like the site? Or spotted an error? Please tell us.
Share This Content with Others